Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"December 15th 1962" or "I am glad I came out straight!"

Sometimes we wonder why things are the way they are. Well I came to understand a lot better who I am, after reading a little in the history books. 


Here is what I found:


The number one hit on dec. 15th 1962 according to Billboard Music Week was


"Big Girls Don't Cry"by the Four Seasons




Yeah, OK! Got it. 


It gets better! The most selling "STEREO" Album, yes, stereo! In 1962 they still were producing and selling LP's in MONO and had a special billboard for mono and stereo productions! ... so, number one stereo was "The First Family" by Vaughn Meader. Some kind of comedy show, a parody on the presidential family. We are talking about about JFK and the first Lady Jacky Kennedy. 
Don't know if that was a good idea!


Oh, just in case, Elvis and "Return to Sender" was number two record right behind them gay fellows - Four Seasons.... come on people... What was wrong with you guys!!!???


Ricky Nelson though, signed a 20 year contract with Decca Records that granted him 1 Million Bucks in record revenues and the production of 2 feature films. Wow...  


In Argentina number one hit was "Speedy Gonzales" from Pat Boone ...
Kid's at that time gone crazy with the new "Rack-a-Ball", a pin ball machine that was just non plus ultra... 


David Lean's epic film Laurence of Arabia, featuring Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, and Anthony Quinn premieres in London.
The last execution by hanging in Canada takes place. U.S. spacecraft Mariner 2 flies by Venus, becoming the first probe to successfully transmit data from another planet.


John Lennon secretly married Cynthia Powell.


Well, I could go on and on. What I learned is that I came to this world in some troubled times, were man dressed funny and looked and acted pretty strange, war was a good business as it is still today, many people aimed for peace but didn't really succeed ... technical revolution was taking up speed, TV was still black and white and if you wanted to make an overseas phone call you had to call an operator and wait sometimes for hours till he got you connected. 


And I am glad I lived trough all this. I am glad I made my friends before internet and MSN so I could enjoy being with them in person and not in front of a monitor. I am glad I actually met Elvis and The Beatles even if at very young age and I barely remember. I am sad I never met Michael Jackson but I am glad I could enjoy his legacy almost from the beginning. I am happy for the parents I have and my siblings, the education I got, my friends the wife I had and the beautiful children she gave me. I am happy for my life and if I had a chance to change anything, I wouldn't.


Thanks to all, that on this very day took a minute of his time to write me a note and connect with me even from the far. You have no idea how important that is and how much I appreciate you doing. Thank you for being part of my life and being part of me, cause I am the person I am because you made me so! And I am very thankful for that.


Love


Robert Franz Ziehe



No comments:

Post a Comment