Friday, October 2, 2026

Awake, But Still Angry

A thoughtful person lowers their phone and looks toward a sunlit city.

Over the past weeks I've noticed something on social media that I can't stop thinking about.

People who describe themselves as awakened, or on the path to enlightenment, write posts teaching others how to awaken. A few days later, the same people post long complaints about politicians, the government, the state of the world, everything that is going wrong.

Something doesn't add up.

THE CONTRADICTION

In my own studies I learned that whatever I give my attention to grows in my life. Not necessarily in some mystical way, but in a very practical one. What I focus on becomes what I notice. What I notice becomes what I believe the world is. And on social media this isn't even a theory: the algorithm feeds you more of whatever you engage with. Click on outrage, and your feed becomes outrage.

So when someone who claims to be awake spends their energy broadcasting resentment, they are creating more of exactly what they say they don't want. In their own mind, and in the minds of everyone who reads them.

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT

To be fair, there's a serious objection to what I'm saying. Isn't it irresponsible to look away? Injustice is real. People are suffering. Shouldn't an awakened person care?

Yes. And this is where many people get it wrong in the opposite direction. "Focusing on the positive" can easily become an excuse for not looking at anything uncomfortable. That isn't awakening either. That's avoidance with nicer vocabulary.

Most serious spiritual traditions never asked anyone to ignore what is wrong. Many of their founders were sharp critics of the powerful.

WHERE THE REAL DIFFERENCE LIES

Awakening doesn't change what you see. You still see the injustice. What changes is how you relate to it.

The unawakened mind reacts. It gets pulled in, angry, agitated, and then needs to discharge that agitation somewhere, usually in a post.

The awakened mind sees the same thing clearly and then chooses. It asks: Can I do something about this? If yes, it acts. If not, it lets go, and puts its attention on what it actually wants to build.

A SIMPLE TEST

Whenever I catch myself getting pulled into something, I ask one question:

Does the way I'm dealing with this leave me clearer and more able to act, or does it just leave me more agitated?

Complaining fails this test. So does looking away. Calm, clear attention followed by a choice passes it.

WHAT I'D SUGGEST INSTEAD

  • See what is wrong. Don't pretend it isn't there.
  • Notice your reaction before you act on it.
  • If you can change something, do it. Concretely.
  • If you can't, release it, and put your energy into what you want to create.
  • Before you post, ask whether you're sharing something useful or just spreading your agitation.

Awakening isn't a vocabulary. It shows in how we behave when something upsets us. And that is visible to everyone, including on social media.

You can also read this article in your language on my website:
https://robertziehe.com/blog/awake-but-still-angry/

For more of my writing, visit:
https://robertziehe.com/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment