Friday, October 31, 2014

The Power of Wilful Ignorance

Once again I've been absent from writing. Once again I asked myself why. And once again I caught myself doing what everybody else does, I ignore!

I ignore that, though I have so much to say, I rather don't. Well, only a few might read and it won't really matter ... but if it did?

I ignore that the World around me is turning upside down. That I live in a time were more young people die of homicides than in war! And by the way, in the middle of XXI'st Century and still wars?! Didn't we learn from the past! Well, I ignore the news that tells me all the evil that is happening just next door of mine - actually one of the reasons I ignore all that is the massive information thrown at me and that makes me want not to know it -!

And then I remember, that they do it on purpose. They want me to get tired of the news so that I start to banalize these happenings and go on consuming and living business as usual.
And I remember Ayn Rand: “The hardest thing to explain is glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” as well as Thomas A. Edison: “Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.” or Charles Darwin that once said: “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.”And I could go on and on stating these great thinkers just to see and feel how stupid I became by joining this willful ignorance of the masses, only to live in a fictitious peace of mind.

But I don't! I don't like this! I want this to change. I don't want my two little girls to tell me in the future that I had the opportunity to do something and didn't!

So I want to see, to hear and most of all I want to speak, out loud. Maybe someone hears me or reads me and also decides to change ... ... ...

James A. Michener

“An age is called Dark, not because the light fails to shine, but because people refuse to see it.”

Good luck to all of us!


No comments:

Post a Comment